Thursday, July 19, 2018

Misspoke, unlikely!


Remember the famous Hillary Clinton line about Trump’s supporters being “deplorable people” and the backlash it created among his supporters?   President Trump’s backtracking of his statements made at Helsinki with Putin may have even surpassed Clinton’s.  After President Trump realized that throwing the entire U.S. under the bus for President Putin was imbecilic, he attempted to still justify this faux pas by tweeting Wednesday morning, "So many people at the higher ends of intelligence loved my press conference performance in Helsinki.”

So is Trump saying, if you thought he really screwed up by denying every U.S. Intelligence Agencies’ findings that the Russians hacked into our electoral cyberspace, you are somewhat lacking in intelligence?  Even Fox News was critical of Trump’s condescending and erratic performance echoing the other Trump-labeled “fake news” outlets.

I always thought standing up for your country was a sign of patriotism; guess I am just being dumb according to our Commander in Chief.

Trump’s opinion of just how dumb I really am is further reinforced by his attempted backtracking of his aberrant Helsinki behavior, namely that he misspoke.   He claimed he misspoke by using the word “would” for “wouldn’t” in his statement regarding Russian cyber hacking.

In front of the entire world President Trump stated regarding a question about the reports of Russian cyber hacking, “My people came to me… they said they think it’s Russia.   I have President Putin.   He just said it’s not Russia.   I will say this.   I don’t see any reason why it would be Russia.”    A day later in a tweet, which was not on display throughout the entire world, he said he meant to say “wouldn’t be Russia.”

If you believe any of this, I am embarrassed for you.

Luckily President Trump doesn’t lead combat missions abroad.  I have this picture in my mind that our troops are approaching a village inhabited by peaceful villagers and Trump says, “If you see anyone in your view, do fire.”  After all the peaceful villagers are killed and his superiors ask why his platoon killed all the villagers, Trump replies, “I meant to say don’t fire.  Granted this is an absurd example, but cited to make my point.

At the Helsinki  Summit I truly believe President Trump, at the time, said exactly what he meant to say because I can’t recall any such misspoken admissions by Trump regarding any of the other often bizarre things he has previously espoused.

For the moment President Trump is seen as Putin’s puppet worldwide and, thanks to our President,  one of the world’s most devious and ruthless dictators has come off as someone U.S. citizens should trust over our country’s own intelligence agencies.

However, as Trump boldly stated during one of his campaign speeches in Iowa, “I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose voters.”  To all President Trump’s loyal supporters, President Trump doesn’t misspeak.

No comments:

Post a Comment